[Etoys] [RELEASE] Etoys 4.0 - a brief report on testing etoys 4.0 (obtained etoys-4.0.2201.tar.gz )

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 31 00:47:12 EST 2008

On Monday 22 December 2008, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 22.12.2008, at 18:52, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > Hi Bert,
> > Ah, so the download directory on
> > http://squeakland.org/download/
> > already has the free etoys-4.0 ? I did not realize that, thanks.
>
> Not yet.

ok -  so for the purposes of testing 40, what I did was the right thing and I
own a 40 based plugin as a side effect :)

> > 2 notes:
> > It would be nice if the OLPC browsers shipped with the Etoys HTTP
> > plugin installed (etoys .pr everywhere!) - although maybe the
> > browser window is too limiting in size,
>
> Well that's one problem. Another is that the XO is quite memory-
> limited so having both the Browse activity and Etoys in memory is not
> optimal.

ok, thanks

> Another that then there would be no way to download a project
> to the Journal.
>
> But maybe it's time to revisit this - with the DBus support now there
> could be an option to save from within the plugin. Might be hard to
> get the logic right, there is no precedence in Sugar for this AFAIK.
> You could help by testing how the plugin works on the XO.

Do you mean to test getting the plugin registered and run in the XO browser on
the XO?  - I will try that. In fact I remember trying to get it work back in
the spring, but failed. I will give it another try - what you are saying below
may be a hint.

> You would need to circumvent the OLPC detection on the launcher page
> however, which replaces the embedded plugin with the automatic
> download to the Journal.
>
> > hence the option of copying it to the clipboard...
>
> Copying to clipboard? I can't follow.

Sorry, I ment journal.

> > The other note is that there seems something wrong with the page on
> > http://squeakland.org/download/
> > - it only displays the rpm row on positively non windows user agents
> > (browser has to be set to Windows/IE to show it, it does not show
> > when viewed in any browser on Linux that I have)
>
> Apparently there is a Linux-specific page that was not updated with
> the rpm. Well, might have to wait to the new year to get fixed I afraid.

It seems fixed now!  I am able to download and install the RPM on SuSE 11.1,
64 bit. When running, I am getting an error though:

etoys
/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/etoys -encoding UTF-8 -plugins /usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686 -vm-display-x11 /usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Resources/etoys.image
could not find module vm-display-X11
Aborted
do not worry about it, I guess I should follow this up on the squeakland email
list.

As the next step, I will try to see if I can get the plugin work and test on
the XO browser, not sure about the value though (your comment about memory
constraint  with browser+ etoys plugin).

Milan