[Etoys] Finding the cursor on the screen

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 19:25:34 EST 2008

[Etoys] Finding the cursor on the screen

***
>Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
>Wed Nov 26 05:03:29 EST 2008
>

>On 26.11.2008, at 04:37, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> Finding the cursor on the screen
>>

>> As for finding the cursor on the screen,
>> you could have the computer watch it for you. :)
>>
>> Take a pair of MovingEyeMorphs out of the parts bin
>> (In etoys pull the object catalog out of the toy chest.
>> the moving eyes are in the just-for-fun catagory.)
>> and put them somewhere convenient on the screen.
>> (Squeaks mouse logo used to serve this function.)
>

>That's a cool idea! By embedding it in the tool flap it even follows
>across projects.
>
>Now, we could add that to a new release. But I'm wondering how we
>could support this mod without having to store a new image ...

Hmm.  I was thinking of this (and describing it) as something a user
would do manually when needed.
I hadn't though of providing it "ready to go".

And of course that leaves the problem of how do kids and teachers
 stumble upon the solution. For which your idea is a good response.

The other thought is to have a world menu item
like 'help me find my cursor' that opens the eyes.
That could be a changeset addition.

Ah. Could you provide a pair of eyes as a saved morph?
(e.g. Help me find my cursor.morph).
Would that help users stumble upon it?

I'm not familiar enough with the olpc enviorment
 to come up with a better suggestion.

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace