[Etoys] [Squeakland] "player's" becomes "nil's"; value types

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Sep 26 18:21:02 EDT 2008

Am 25.09.2008 um 11:43 schrieb Markus Schlager:

> Hi all,
>
> I encountered the following phenomenon, which IMO is quite irritating.
> It's about "player"-Tiles in scripts with a parameter (screenshots
> attached).
>
> I made an empty script with a player-typed parameter an added a
> basic method and varaiable-assignment (EllipseTalkTo1.png):
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Ellipse forward:5
>  Ellipse's heading :=0
>
> Then I drag player-tiles off the parameter-area to replace the
> Ellipse-tiles (EllipseTalkTo2.png):
>
> Now it looks like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Player forward:5
>  nil's heading :=0
>
> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  player forward:5
>  player's heading :=0
>
> Then I change the parameter-type to sth. different and back
> (EllipseTalkTo3.png, EllipseTalkTo4.png): "Player" and "nil" become
> "dot":
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  dot forward:5
>  dot heading :=0
>
> The _should_ be:
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  dot forward:5
>  dot's heading :=0
>
> I repeat step two an drag 'player'-tiles to replace the 'dot'-tiles.
> Now it looks like (EllipseTalkTo5.png)
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Player forward:5
>  Player heading :=0
>

> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  player forward:5
>  player's heading :=0
>
> So there are three problems:
>
> - Should "player" be capitalized everywhere or nowhere?
> - Why does "player's" become "nil's" at the beginning?
> - Why is "'s" missing from the moment at which "dot" appears?
>
> And finally I have a request from the point of localization: All
> value-types of variables or parameters should get marked
> translatable. At the moment this is true for 'Color' and 'Sound' only.

Thanks for the bug report. I've opened a few tickets:

Parameter displays 'nil' in slot tile
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8694

Possessive "s" goes missing
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8695

Translate argument types
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8696

Parameter tile capitalization inconsistent
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8697

Btw, it's sufficient to report bugs in one list, not both. The etoys at lists.laptop.org
  list is more developer-oriented whereas the Squeakland list deals
more with educational aspects. We should move the follow-up discussion
of genuine bugs to the Etoys list.