[Etoys] Opening a zip file

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 10 04:09:07 EDT 2009

On 10.04.2009, at 04:53, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On April 9, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On 09.04.2009, at 07:15, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> > > On March 18, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > > <...>

> files.
> > >
> > > When

> Etoys
> > >
> > > I just read about content files - Maybe we can make a (temporary)
> > > olpc-extract.xo Content (xo) file that would open the zip in
> Etoys.
> >
> > Well it does open in Etoys already. There just is no simple way to
> > extract to the Journal, yet.
>
> ah I see. I thought there was a way because if I "highlight text and
> copy" from Etoys and the text appears in Journal, with a few
> associations. But yes I guess I did not see an example where a file
> (or files) would be put on clipboard...

Right. It could be added of course, dragging a file out of the ZIP
viewer into the clipboard would be possible ... though we do have
bigger fish to fry.

> > > Probably an overkill in terms of size?
> >
> > What size do you mean?
>
> i ment squeak size (could be smaller if tool only did zip/unzip). I
> think that would only be a potential issue if many were kept open.

You mean RAM? Well it would be nice to compare a Python+GTK activity's
memory footprint against Squeak.

Also, it might be time to start optimizing Squeak / Etoys which we
have totally neglected in the last years.

One relatively simple thing to increase start-up speed would be to
mmap the image and avoid scanning the whole object memory on startup.
That way only the pages needed  would be actually loaded into RAM
initially, not the whole image. I dabbled with this with Luke while in
Nepal, and recently John did the same optimization for the iPhone VM.
It's rather probable there is more such low-hanging fruit, if someone
bothered to look.