Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Aug 3 17:47:40 EDT 2009

At Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:51:42 -0700,
Edward Cherlin wrote:

> Do you know why your mail software is not rendering and retransmitting
> Japanese correctly?

  Mine is rendering and retransmitting Japanese mixed with Hangul
correctly in ISO-2022-JP-2 (defined in RFC 1554 and supports mixed
Japanese and Chinese text nicely).  As Bert wrote, if you are reading
it through the forums gateway, that may be the problem.

> Ah, well, Microsoft. Watch out for broken MS Unicode fonts for
> Japanese and Korean that provide yen sign or weon sign in place of
> backslash, in accordance with national variants of US-ASCII but not in
> accordance with Unicode. One of many reasons I gave up on Windows. I
> have had several arguments about this and related complaints on the
> Unicode mailing list, with Japanese who claim that Unicode is broken,
> and that we are a conspiracy of cultural imperialism. In fact we
> follow Japanese national standards scrupulously where possible, and
> our experts on Japanese are mainly from Japan.

  Well, you talk as if I'm one of them with the conspiracy of cultural
imperialism (I'm not).  But you know that there is discrepancy between
Unicode claim and practice.  Like the round-trip conversion guarantee,
when the Unicode consotium cannot provide a standard mapping table and
the claim is false.

  And for yen sign and won sign, putting these glyphs there in a
seemingly Unicode fonts is bad, yes.

  But anyway, the discussion here is whether you can tell the
languages supported by a font by looking at its name or not.  And
answer is no.  So let us not diverge too much.

-- Yoshiki