[etoys-dev] Experimenting msgctxt supprort (SQ-139)

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Mon Aug 3 18:33:12 EDT 2009

Hi Korakurider,

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Korakurider wrote:

> For http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-139 ,
> I am playing with prototype of msgctxt support in Etoys and want to
> discuss with you about this.

That's great news! It will help to solve some real issues with
localization.

> 	3) transCtxExplicit-KR
> 				#translatedWithContext:
> 				and #translatedNoopWithContext:
> 				-- variant of #translated and #translatedNoop
> 				   with manually specified msgctxt

Just to get an idea, what an explicit message-context could be:

>From my viewpoint being translator, particularly usefull msgctxt would be

- programming-tile
- menu-entry
- balloon-help

More technically speeking, msgctxt is necessary to identify short strings
in particular uniquely within po-files. This is needed for example in
order to use the suggestions-functionality on the pootle
translation-server.

Markus