Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Aug 4 19:29:04 EDT 2009

At Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:16:37 +0200,
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Actually, "Déjà vu" would be French ;)
>
> Anyway, do we have a list of fonts we'd like to ship with in Etoys? So
> far only Deja-Vu-LGC has been suggested.

  A Japanese version of Etoys is shipped with Mona-font (which is
"free") pre-loaded.  Now it could be externalized.

> The requirements would be it has to have a license allowing us to
> bundle it, and it should add a language/script we could not render
> otherwise. The reason to include the fonts instead of relying on
> platform fonts would be to ensure projects behaving identically across
> platforms.
>
> Looking at the list of translations at
>
> 	http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys/

  Not really tested with whole coverage of Deja-Vu and cannot tell
that real text in these language can be rendered, but with rough
eyeball checking, if we ship Deja-Vu, Mona, and some free
fonts for chinese and Korean I could say:

Coverage less than 1% and could be rendered:
Catalan, Icelandish, Bulgarian, Polish, Macedonean, Romanian

Coverage between 1% and 70% and could be rendered:
Dutch, Iceland, Italian, Portugese

Coverage more than 70% and could be rendered:
Greek, Kreyol, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish (non-latin1 version and
latin1 version), German, French, Russian, Simplified Chinese,
Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian (in Cyrillic)

-- Yoshiki