[etoys-dev] region codes

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Aug 7 02:40:42 EDT 2009

Tim,

The "region codes" currently supplied for inclusion in the putative
new pop-up in the project-info dialog at the moment seem to be
*country* codes, and the country-code list on the web-site currently
has no fewer than 241 countries listed.

Squeak is able to put up big lists in a pop-up, but it does so by
putting up a succession of *segmented* sublists, not one big scrolling
list.

So if we use the list in its current form, it will be a huge segmented
list.  Thus, for example, making ones way down to United States in the
list of 241 country names requires advancing to the *sixth* group of
names (i.e., hitting "more" five times), which is certainly not
acceptable.

Do we really want individual country names?  If it's a "region",
perhaps we should have categories more like North America, South
America, Europa, Africa, Asia?  Or if that's too coarse, in any case a
list of items with something more like thirty or forty entries.

Can anyone provide advice here?

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:    A single scrolling list pop-up obviously would be possible to
implement in squeak, given time, but scrolling down through 240 items
still would be obviously undesirable; in any case, that solution is
not really on the table for the immediate future.