[etoys-dev] remove the free-standing .gif?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 27 18:48:17 EDT 2009

As people are probably aware, a .png thumbnail of an etoys project is
now put inside the outer .pr file, but for the time being we haven't
removed the .gif thumbnail that historically has been put placed
*alongside* (rather than *within*) the outer .pr file.  See:  http://tracker.immuexa.com/browse/SQ-274

Several people have advocated removing the .gif file; it clutters up
the Squeaklets directory, for one thing, and it's now redundant, and
has only been retained for compatibility with Superswiki and possibly
Superswiki 2.

Now the question arises afresh:  should we now stop producing the .gif
file -- thus requiring Superswiki and other clients who may be
interested in a thumbnail to use the embedded .png file?

On the JIRA ticket, in early August, Antonio reported 'That's Masashi
answer:  "As I seen the code, I think the modification would be quite
trivial.  I welcome the new, refactored project format."'.

So... do people think the time has now come (in advance of final
shipment of this summer's release) to remove the .gif?

   -- Scott