[sq-education] Re: [etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Aug 31 13:24:21 EDT 2009

At Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:15:40 -0400,
Timothy Falconer wrote:

> >  The usefulness of the target age is one thing, but pre-set list of
> > ages is another.  If you say, "8 to 12", or "9 to 11", it means
> > different things from a region to another with different school
> > systems.  We can't dictate globally there, I think.  And some put the
> > target age based on the relevance with the school curriculum, but
> > others put some other criteria.  Some want to put the grade number
> > but some want to put the age.
> >
> >  So, having the age part is ok but probably better to be a free-form
> > field.
> >
> >  Just my $0.02.
>
> Having it free-form, or tag-based, will make it nearly impossible to
> usefully group, which will be a problem for people looking for
> relevant content.
>
> Think ... 1000 projects and I have twenty minutes to try 5
> projects ... I'm a 3rd grade teacher in the united states wondering
> how I could include Etoys throughout my school day.

  Sure.  Are you saying that I don't understand this kind of
constraint?

> 500 different ways of saying 3rd grade will all but prevent that
> person from finding 5 great projects in 20 minutes.

  But if you are a 3rd grade teacher in the US and looking for
projects, you are effectively saying that there should be a better
tagging mechanism than pre-set age groups.

  BTW, Kathleen is a teacher and she described what she does.  What is
your comment on that?

> You might say, "well, they need to spend more time", but THEY WON'T.

  I wouldn't *just* say that.

-- Yoshiki