[etoys-dev] Current project serialization format?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 13:59:53 EST 2009

Quick question: What is the current project serialization format used in
Etoys? Historically, image segments were used but I know that Yoshiki
looked at alternatives and I don't know what the current state of
serialization in Etoys is. Specifically I am interested in:
- Does an Etoys project file contain any sort of Manifest that states
version dependencies? (i.e., says which version of Etoys it was created
with)
- Is the current Etoys project serialization format a low-level format
(like ReferenceStream, ImageSegments etc) or a high-level format (more
abstract description; not directly serializing bits of the underlying
object)
- Assuming it isn't image segment based how are scripts and script
references implemented? Same as previously (file out for scripts, class
vars or globals refs for references) or differently?

Thanks for any info. I haven't looked at project serialization in many
moons so I'm definitely not up to speed here.

Cheers,
   - Andres