[etoys-dev] Current project serialization format?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Dec 2 16:43:20 EST 2009

  Hi, Gera,

At Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:51:38 -0300,
Gerardo Richarte wrote:

> Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >   For regular projects, we still use good old ImageSegments.  The
> > alternative is an S-expression representation (dubbed "SISS", homage
> > to SIXX) that is used for the QuickGuides contents.
> hi!
>
> related to this. Is it possible (and common) today for projects to
> include behaviour in the form of serilized CompiledMethods or anything
> similar?

  Currently, the user-defined methods for uniclass objects are
CompiledMethods, and other code addition/changes are stored as text as
a changeset.  Yes, so it is common.

  With a little bit of modification to the serialization logic, you
can include CompiledMethod objects for regular (non-uniclass) classes
in the externalized binary.  One time we were experimenting with this
idea to make a faster loadable extention to Etoys.

  FWIW, Andreas had a mechanism for loading code quickly (now I
realized that I don't have clear idea what it was), and Jecel has many
(or one?) proposals for different object memory organization....

-- Yoshiki