[etoys-dev] Making a Squeakland Etoys release - wiki page questions contibued in new thread

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 21 04:36:47 EST 2009

On 21.12.2009, at 06:56, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> > The Mac release and To-Go release I built on a Mac using the scripts that
> >  formerly resided at
> >
> > http://svn.squeakland.org/installers/
> >
> > There was buildImage.sh / buildImage.st that updated the image, and
> >  makeEtoysMac / makeEtoysToGo to create the app bundles. I ran the
> >  setVersion script between building the image and bundling the app to
> >  adjust the version numbers while avoiding manual errors when it was
> >  getting late.
> Also added this to wiki. Do we need to advocate Tim to get those files back?

I think he's working on it.

Note however that I don't think it is wise to use those scripts yourself. Just read them and understand what they do, then write your own or do it manually, whatever you prefer. Personal styles differ and in doing a release you need to be confident to know what's going on. There is no magic to it, Squeak thankfully is pretty simple in that regard.

But e.g. to the next person who builds a Mac installer it is necessary to get familiar with Apple's packaging tools. No way around that.

> I have a question that you may have a pointer to: Do you know what Yoshiki is refering to when he said, regarding making the MSI installer (it is in the same page on wiki):
> Execute exportAssetsFromToGo.sh  - where can I find this script?
> Thanks,
> Milan

Don't know. I assume it will simply export the files from svn to the right location in the installer.