[etoys-dev] Bug tracking in Linux

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 23 22:23:14 EST 2009

On December 23, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 23.12.2009, at 08:40, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> > I think we have an important bug regarding the information we convey for
> > third party Deb or Rpm packagers.
> >
> > As I reported months ago, the Squeakland download page is very far to be
> > perfect for a free software packager because it brings *no* information
> > about the source code. As you may know, each binary package comes with
> > its source package. As it is now, it is not clear at all for a thrird
> > party packager where are the sources.
> >
> > For an external viewer, it looks like Etoys pretend to be free software
> > but it is not (source code not there) or it looks like someone want to
> > protect some asset (Is it a post Sophie trauma?)
> >
> > I wrote a proposal (far to be perfect) for the download page, but Tim
> > removed it because of translation issue in the seb server, which I agree
> > because the way it was rendered was far to be perfect) While writing the
> > proposal, I also received unfriendly feedback from Berg for tiny details.
> >
> > Guys, do you have any problem providing information about the source
> > code? It is a tiny effort to clarify this situation.
>
> Agreed. Based on what you wrote, here is what I came up with to explain the
>  source situation on the download page:
>
> ===========
> Squeak Etoys is made of two parts: a cross-platform part, written in Squeak
>  Smalltalk, and the Squeak Virtual Machine to run it. The Virtual Machine
>  is an independent project, please see squeakvm.org for its source code.
>  All other source code is included with the regular download. Simply press
>  Cmd-comma or Alt-comma to open the Smalltalk IDE tools. To contribute,
>  please go to dev.squeakland.org.
>  ===========

That sounds good to me with a minor nitpick, hopefully making it clearer:

 ===========
Squeak Etoys is made of two parts: a cross-platform part (image), written in
Squeak
 Smalltalk, and the Squeak Virtual Machine to run it. The Squeak Virtual
Machine
 is an independent project, please see squeakvm.org for its source code.

 All source code for the cross-platform part is included in the downloaded
installers below and also in the tarball. When running Etoys, simply press
 Cmd-comma or Alt-comma to open the Smalltalk IDE tools, which allow to view
and modify the cross-platform source code. To contribute, please go to
dev.squeakland.org.

If there is a reasonable agreement (to whatever text we end up with), who can
edit the download page to put it there?

> Additionally, there should be a "source" tarball - or we simply point to
>  these ones:
>
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/etoys/

FWIW  I would just point to those.

Milan