[etoys-dev] fighting human spammers on the forum

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Jul 14 14:52:57 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Ted Kaehler recommended something like the following to deter human
registered spam:

# Post Queueing - phpBB 3.0.3 introduced a new feature which allows
admins to queue posts if the users post count is lower than a defined
value.
Administration Control Panel > General > Post Settings > Enable queued
posts.
This means that your users will not see the first X number of posts by
spam accounts and you can remove them and deactivate the accounts
without disruption to your members, but legitimate users will be free
to post once that number of posts has been approved.

Unfortunately, we need to use phpbb2 because our mail sync program
(mail2forum) doesn't support phpbb3  (they're working on it.)

More solutions are here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1437125

I think though that post queuing is the only one that seems able to
stop human spammers.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  If this keeps up, I'll make it so only
mailing list subscribed people can send to the mailing list (which
means all forum-only posts won't be seen on the mailing list).

Tim

--
Timothy Falconer
Squeakland Foundation