[etoys-dev] Re: forum spam

teefal etoys-dev-forum at squeakland.org
Mon Jul 20 10:46:22 EDT 2009

An update on the forum spam issue ...

Humans are registering for the spam accounts, which makes it a tough problem.  I have two options that I know of:

1) make it so only mailing list subscribers can post to the forum and have it sent to the mailing list

This is a sad option, since most of our talent is in the mailing list now, and most of our new people will be on the forums.  This will require mailing list people to also read the forums to catch new non-list posts.

2) upgrade to PHPBB3 and lose the mailing list / forum sync

PHPBB3 has new features to combat human spammers. Mail2Forum only works with PHPBB2.  They're working on PHPBB3, but until then we'd have a split between forums & mailing list (neither sees the other).

3) keep things as they are until Mail2Forum supports PHPBB3

This means the occasional spam message until then.

4) find some other solution

Any thoughts would be helpful.

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9622#9622