Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jul 29 16:39:58 EDT 2009

On 29.07.2009, at 21:10, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Nikolay Suslov<nsuslovi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello, Bert!
>>
>> If it is not really hard to ship now the fonts right in the image,
>> please,
>> could you point, how to do that?
>> The size of the image is much less critical then foreign language
>> barrier
>> right now.
>> May be, have image's choice: the default for latin1 languages and
>> another
>> big one with additional fonts (Cyrillic etc. support)?
>
> Several readily available Free Truetype fonts include Latin and
> Cyrillic. For example,
>
> Bookman Uralic
> Century Schoolbook
> Deja Vu
> FreeFont
> Gentium
> Liberation
> Nimbus
> Roman Uralic
> Schoolbook Uralic
> URW Bookman, Chancery, Gothic, Palladio

We're currently using Bitstream Vera, so to preserve font metrics we
should go with a derivative of that. I was thinking of DejaVu LGC.

> Each of these font files is less than 1 MB in size. The big fonts are
> those that include Han characters for Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

TTF files use a rather space-efficient delta coding for glyph shapes.
When importing the font into the Squeak image, this is expanded to
discreet bezier curves, which is the format our vector renderer
understands natively.