[etoys-dev] FreeCell: Etoys interaction with Journal via DBus on Sugar (OLPC)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 29 19:54:25 EDT 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Basically we want to deploy a Squeak application, without shipping a
> custom image. I think that's a new problem, typically Smalltalk apps
> ship as customized images.

Funny you should mention that. This is something I am actually working
on in my spare time. I do have the outline for a Squeak application
bundle that stores binary representations of code (so that the image
does not require a Compiler; in fact I want to be able to use that to
load one ;-) and optionally, source code. It's nicely small and fast so
far (the entirety of Morphic goes into 700k and takes less than a second
to load) but the work's only just started so there is a long ways to go
here. If someone is seriously interesting in this direction, drop me a note.

Cheers,
   - Andreas