Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Jul 31 06:42:59 EDT 2009

At Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:31:02 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yoshiki - for some strange reason it seems that some of the glyphs in
> the Japanese entry are substituded by the default glyph (see the fourth
> glyph in what I think is the phonetic transcription of Squeak).
>
> Do you have any idea if that is the expected behavior for Batang or if
> there might be something wrong? It would be good if we could get the
> text in Squeak to show up correctly, and I'm at a loss here since I have
> no idea even what code ranges to look at ;-)

  Not sure what you meant by a standard font, but Batang is designed
for writing Korean.  Yes, it is missing some phonetic characters but
also some kanjis in the picture is wrong.  (here comes our favorite
problem.)

  For Japanese, MS Mincho, MS UI Gothic, MS P Mincho or MS P Gothic,
or on Vista or later Meiryo are the ones to use.

-- Yoshiki