[etoys-dev] Fwd: [Sugar-devel] Roadmap to 0.88 --- Proposal

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 23 10:04:44 EST 2009

Sugar releases are pretty much independent of XO software releases.

E.g., OLPC is working on a software release for the XO-1.5. It is based on Fedora 11, and it will use the Sugar version packaged in Fedora 11 - namely, 0.84. In the mean time, Sugar 0.86 has been released already and development of 0.88 has started (and Fedora 12 has been released too). There is a difference between development and shipping to end-users. And there is no telling yet when later Sugar releases will make it into an XO update.

OTOH, F11-1.5 includes the latest Etoys version packaged for it, which already is much more recent than Sugar 0.84 (currently, etoys-4.0-2332). Soon there should be a 4.0.2337 (I just pushed Yoshiki's fix for SQ-565). So the Etoys release version *shipped* is not necessarily tied closely to the Sugar version.

That said, I agree it would be great to have a version including DrGeo ready for Sugar 0.88. At least we might get some more testing that way. And since Sugar itself is not stable yet, we could release a development version around the time - provided we don't break too much until then. We simply need to declare a certain interim Etoys version the "official" one for that Sugar release. Another option would be to follow the Sugar release cycle more closely.

For the XO 1.5 we need to have a stable version. Currently it looks like that's going to be Etoys 4 + critical fixes (that is, only SQ-565 so far). Unless OLPC slips past the Etoys 5 release, of course ;)

- Bert -

On 23.11.2009, at 07:52, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> I would like to see DrGeo shipped in this next version if possible.
> It will make easier for XO user to save/load project with interactive geometry.
>
> Hilaire
>
> 2009/11/20 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
>> See below the proposed schedule for the next Sugar release.
>>
>> Since Etoys is part of Sugar, we will need to have some version ready for this.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>
>>> Date: 20. November 2009 18:38:07 MEZ
>>> To: Sugar-dev <Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
>>> Subject: [Sugar-devel] Roadmap to 0.88 --- Proposal
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have written a proposal for the new 0.88 schedule [1]. Basically, I
>>> followed the GNOME schedule for 2.30 [2]. Following in terms of dates,
>>> and I have added certain new freezes we did not have before.
>>>
>>> In detail:
>>> - tarballs due will be on Mondays, and the release on Wednesdays: I hope
>>> this will allow us to see the tarballs packaged by the end of the week
>>> by the distributions ---> getting more testing done over the weekend
>>>
>>> - UI Freeze added: No UI changes may be made without approval from the
>>> release-team and notification to the documentation list. Having such a
>>> freeze helps documentation efforts, and to not introduce workflow
>>> regressions and issues late in the cycle.
>>>
>>> - The feature freeze and API freeze is earlier compared to previous
>>> cycles. This should help to get a more stable release at the envisioned
>>> release date. After this shortened release cycle, from one feature
>>> freeze to the next one, there will be always 6 months. So the same
>>> amount of time to allow for development of features.
>>>
>>> - To allow for long term planning, I have drafted the 0.90 schedule, too
>>> [3]. This should help to schedule bigger features.
>>>
>>> - Testing: I hope to see much much more testing in this release cycle.
>>> Two things should help here: a) I encourage the creation of a testing
>>> team. b) The 0.88 release will be packaged early. For testing purposes
>>> 0.88 will be packaged for F12. Other distributions are encouraged to do