[etoys-dev] Plugin woes on Windows

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:21:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:

> At Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:35:31 +0100,
> Karl Ramberg wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have tested using the latest release and can only get the browser
> > plugin to launch in Google Chrome.
> > The others (IE8, Firefox and Safari) fail with
> >
> > PluginHTTPDownloadRequest(Object)>>error:
> >
> > I'm not sure how to debug this.
> > I can connect from the image while in the browser to the showcase but
> > launching always fails.
>
>   I saw this for some time and for some examples, but not
> persistently.  I gather that very often the cause is some server
> issues.  When the server is stable, with FireFox and IE, I had no
> trouble to launch projects (like right now, except that I cannot find
> TurtleGeometry project).
>
> For me this is happens every time I launch the plugin.
I can not find out why though.
Do you have a suggestion to  track it down ?

The image can connect if I click the showcase folder.

The error must be in
StandardFileStream>>requestURLStream: url ifError: errorBlock
    "Request a FileStream for the given URL.
    If Squeak is not running in a browser evaluate errorBlock"
    "FileStream requestURLStream:'http://www.squeak.org'"
    | sema index request result |
    self waitBrowserReadyFor: self defaultBrowserReadyWait ifFail:
[^errorBlock value].
    sema _ Semaphore new.
    index _ Smalltalk registerExternalObject: sema.
    request _ self primURLRequest: url semaIndex: index.
    request == nil ifTrue:[

    Smalltalk unregisterExternalObject: sema.
        ^errorBlock value.
    ] ifFalse:[
        [sema wait. "until something happens"
        result _ self primURLRequestState: request.
        result == nil] whileTrue.
        result ifTrue:[fileID _ self primURLRequestFileHandle: request].
        self primURLRequestDestroy: request.
    ].
    Smalltalk unregisterExternalObject: sema.
    fileID == nil ifTrue:[^nil].
    self register.
    name _ url.
    rwmode _ false.
    buffer1 _ String new: 1.

Can you think of a way to test this without the semaphore or with some
logging to see what is going on ?

Karl