[etoys-dev] What prevent latest Etoys working with latest Sugar release ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Oct 27 10:59:52 EDT 2009

On 27.10.2009, at 03:50, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> I am hesitating a lot in spending a couple of hours to install on
> several XO laptops something that may be not reliable (hacker level),
> and which my students will reject instantaneously (non hacker level,
> zero level of tolerance toward non reliable system), and which prevent
> any potential pedagogical actions (not even there as there are many
> boring technical pb to fix or overcome technical limitation, bad, bad
> )

Hesitating is healthy. You need to judge whether the benefits
(improvements in a newer version) outweigh the risks (possibility of
breakage). I'm pretty sure it will work fine, but ultimately we
release this under a license that says

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED

> Is the update path you suggested reliable?

No. These OS updates are under development. The latest stable release
by OLPC is still 8.2.1.

Regarding your original subject line, there is *nothing* I know that
would prevent the latest Etoys to work with the latest Sugar. The
latest Etoys also works with the old Sugar as already installed on the
XOs.

But you would have to upgrade Etoys yourself, same procedure as ever:

	http://etoys.laptop.org/