[etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Sep 1 02:25:41 EDT 2009

K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Monday 31 Aug 2009 9:10:39 pm Timothy Falconer wrote:
>
>> What does the larger group think?   Would you see "sixteen and older"
>> in the drop-down as saying "put your adults-only stuff here"?
>>
> I am wary of using ages in Etoy projects. It is tough on children who drop out
> and rejoin later. How about culturally neutral terms like  "Levels" 1 thru 5
> or multi-age groups like {primary, higher primary, secondary, higher
> secondary, graduate}.

I think that we are mixing up two things here:

- projects that are meant to help teachers getting started using Etoys
in the classroom, where the age category would be helpful (I'm fine with
grade, age or elementary/middle/highschool), and

- projects that will be uploaded by the broader community, which are
meant to show what someone did, where we don't need any categories at all

I see two different structures for these different kinds of "showcases".
The "official" showcase will be the one with categories, age groups
etc., because we want to help teachers getting ideas. And these projects
will be selected carefully.
All the other projects belong to a "public" showcase, where we don't
need these categories. Most of the students will not bother to think
about subjects when uploading their work, and they don't have to, since
categories are optional. We could even use tags for the public showcase,
because this showcase serves another purpose, it is the possibility for
everyone to share their work. We can pick up the best projects from the
public showcase to put into the official one, "we" means all the people
who apply to do that.
So it wouldn't be necessary to categorize every project that goes to the
showcase, the categorization could be done later, when a project gets
selected. And of course there are projects which are explicitly
developed to be on the official showcase, but I don't think that anyone
here has a problem with categorizing these projects by age, because that
clearly means "target age".

Greetings,
Rita

> Subbu