[etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 1 06:42:31 EDT 2009

On 01.09.2009, at 10:54, Timothy Falconer wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2009, at 2:25 AM, Rita Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

>>> I am wary of using ages in Etoy projects. It is tough on children
>>> who drop out and rejoin later. How about culturally neutral terms
>>> like  "Levels" 1 thru 5 or multi-age groups like {primary, higher
>>> primary, secondary, higher secondary, graduate}.
>>>
>> I think that we are mixing up two things here:
>>
>> - projects that are meant to help teachers getting started using
>> Etoys in the classroom, where the age category would be helpful
>> (I'm fine with grade, age or elementary/middle/highschool), and
>>
>> - projects that will be uploaded by the broader community, which
>> are meant to show what someone did, where we don't need any
>> categories at all
>>
>> I see two different structures for these different kinds of
>> "showcases". The "official" showcase will be the one with
>> categories, age groups etc., because we want to help teachers
>> getting ideas. And these projects will be selected carefully.
>> All the other projects belong to a "public" showcase, where we
>> don't need these categories. Most of the students will not bother
>> to think about subjects when uploading their work, and they don't
>> have to, since categories are optional. We could even use tags for
>> the public showcase, because this showcase serves another purpose,
>> it is the possibility for everyone to share their work. We can pick
>> up the best projects from the public showcase to put into the
>> official one, "we" means all the people who apply to do that.
>> So it wouldn't be necessary to categorize every project that goes
>> to the showcase, the categorization could be done later, when a
>> project gets selected. And of course there are projects which are
>> explicitly developed to be on the official showcase, but I don't
>> think that anyone here has a problem with categorizing these
>> projects by age, because that clearly means "target age".
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Rita
>

> A few thoughts from this . . .
>
> First though, everyone should know that there are now two sections
> in the showcase that we're launching this month, the "featured"
> section, and the "public" section.   Featured projects are hand-
> picked by the squeakland education team.  Public projects are
> moderated for inappropriate content, but otherwise left alone.   As
> Rita says, there will be 30 to 100 featured projects, and many
> thousand public projects.
>
> 1. I see the public showcase perhaps a bit differently, not just as
> a place for individual users to show off their work (as they do on
> the Scratch website), but as the place for teachers from around the
> world, such as Chris Gordon from USeIT, to show off their students
> work, and their own demonstrations, etc.   My belief is that there
> will *MANY* projects that come from classes and homeschoolers that
> are appropriate for categorization.  These will all start out in the
> [...]

1) "Public Showcase" is a misnomer. We want a "public" repository for
everyone to share projects, *and* a "showcase" with selected content.

4) having two sites with different designs and contents is a
fundamentally different user experience than one "showcase" with a
"public" toggle. Sure it can be implemented as such behind the scenes,
but the public sharing site needs to be clearly separated, and hence
visually different from the edited site.