[etoys-dev] Slots without watchers

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 26 05:25:35 EDT 2009

On 26.09.2009, at 04:43, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Etoy viewers, some of the slots like bearingTo don't have
> watchers on them.

Requiring an argument, these are not slots, but functions. Not having
a read-out on them is intentional.

> Is this because of  computational load?

I don't think so, but maybe Scott can enlighten us on the design
reasoning? I think it made sense that only properties of the object
itself have read-outs, not relationships to its environment.

> They don't act like number tiles in assignments. It is disturbing to
> drop them
> into assignments and not be able to append arith operators.

That's just a bug. Please file a ticket.

> If so, could a different icon (say yellow menu instead of a white
> one) be used
> for such slots?

Maybe, maybe not. Having a lot of different icons might be confusing,
too?