[etoys-dev] Can we run E-toys in Windows 98?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Sep 28 13:20:25 EDT 2009

At Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:00:06 +0200,
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 27.09.2009, at 23:51, Bruno Sperb wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There are some teachers here (they are from Novo Hamburgo, Brazil)
> > asking to work with Etoys, but their lab has computers running
> > windows 98...
> >
> > Would be possible to run E-toys by any chance with that Windows?
> > They have already tried with the last version of Etoys (from
> > Squeakland) but did not work...
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Bruno
> >
> > --
> > Bruno Fagundes Sperb
> > cel - 96853758
>
> Hi Bruno,
>
> the Squeak VMs since 2007 do not support Windows 98 anymore:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/beginners@lists.squeakfoundation.org/msg06293.html
>
> However, as Andreas wrote there, you might get it to run by replacing
> the Virtual Machine in current Etoys by an older "3.7" VM:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-Win32-3.7.1-VM.zip
>
> This should work but you may experience problems entering non-ASCII
> characters, and possibly other issues (this has not been tested with
> current Etoys).

  So, I did dig up my old Window ME computer (it is like "0.1
herniation per block" kind of computer^^;)

http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/squeakland/2009-September/004782.html

  What you need to do is to install the release candidate installer,
extract Squeak.exe from
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-Win32-3.7.1-VM.zip, and
rename it to Etoys.exe and copy it over the Etoys.exe installed at
C:\Program Files\Etoys\Etoys.app\Etoys.exe.

Then, remove the last three lines in etoys.ini that would look like:

[Security]
SecureDirectory=...
UserDirectory=...

and save the .ini file.  It appears that it works for me and let me
type Japanese characters.

  But the gallery doesn't work somehow, and the user name is not
expanded (but still it can save projects locally under C:\My Squeak).
So there are some issues but it does work and you can save/load
showcase projects, etc.

-- Yoshiki