[etoys-dev] Slots without watchers

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:06:53 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 26.09.2009, at 04:43, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> In Etoy viewers, some of the slots like bearingTo don't have watchers on
>> them.
>>

> Requiring an argument, these are not slots, but functions. Not having a
> read-out on them is intentional.

>  Is this because of  computational load?
>>

> I don't think so, but maybe Scott can enlighten us on the design reasoning?
> I think it made sense that only properties of the object itself have
> read-outs, not relationships to its environment.

I don't see why a function shouldn't have a readout. It returns a value,
and IMHO all useful values should have readouts. This includes bearingTo,
distanceTo, isOverColor, colorSees, overlaps, overlapsAny, and so on. I know
some of them can't have readouts because of performance issues but if
bearingTo is not the case I think it should have one.

Cheers