[etoys-dev] How to get a nice EToys based development environment?

Rita Freudenberg rita at squeakland.org
Wed Sep 30 09:03:46 EDT 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Simon Guest wrote:
>> Am I unusual in wanting to do this?  Is there a better thing to do?
>
> No you're not. I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately the Etoys image
> is so far behind at this point that it has become a serious hindrance
> for me. No Monticello, Shout, ToolBuilder, Closures etc. You name it.
> OTOH, Etoys has all the media activities that are broken in Squeak.
>
> Here is a VHLQ (very high-level question): How do people feel about
> bringing Squeak.org and Etoys together again?
YES!! This is the way to go for the future of Etoys and Squeak! As an
educator, I would *love* to be able to go on from Etoys down to Squeak
in teaching, and we do have many children in the world who are now
learning Etoys in school. It would be so sad to loose all of them who
have deeper interest in programming to other programming languages only
because there is no easy way to dive into Squeak.
As a board member of Squeakland Foundation I know about the amount of
work we have to accomplish in order to maintain and improve Etoys
further, so we *need* Squeak developers, and if what they are doing for
Squeak could be used by us for Etoys and vice versa, that would help the
whole community.
And, by the way, in Brazil we discovered, that most of the people call
it "Squeak Etoys" or even Squeak (when they talk about Etoys), so that's
another reason to give them Etoys, too, when they download Squeak
somewhere :)

Greetings,
Rita

> Since the Etoys-haters left, there is both room as well as a need for
> a driving application. A merger with Etoys would give Squeak back its
> primary purpose for existence, would allow the Etoys community to
> benefit from improvements made at Squeak.org and allow of us to focus
> our efforts in trying to provide a unified artifact for personal
> dynamic media. We have an open development process that I think could
> work for such a project so that at the end of the day the Squeakland
> release may come with a special "skin" for the UI but where the basic
> system is a Squeak.org image right out of the box.
>
> I'm not sure if we have the resources to do this quickly but I'd like
> at least to raise the question to see how people feel about it. Is
> this even option?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Rita Freudenberg