[etoys-dev] Preparing for Monticello-based updates

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 20 19:52:02 EDT 2010

On 4/20/2010 4:35 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> We still need to refine the categorization. I had a crazy idea: in the trunk image, generate a list of which class is in which category, same for all methods. Then recategorize everything in the Etoys image to match that (provided the class/method exists). Since this only recategorizes, it should do no harm. Could that possibly work?

Yes. I was thinking about the same thing.

> I have been playing with the idea to keep a traditional update stream in place as fall-back ... in case some surgery is needed that would be infeasible with MC updates.

I think that's wise, in particular in the early stages. In fact, you
might consider using the update stream until the dust settles and post
updated MC packages after installing each update. This could be
automated and while you're trying to catch up all you'd need to do is to
load updates first, then merge MC packages and the diffs should be
empty, no?

Cheers,
   - Andreas