[etoys-dev] Translation support

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 02:34:46 EDT 2010

Hi Ricardo.
I haven't noticed this requirement is covered in the GSoC project.
Here are starting point.

1. Background
     In Etoys image translation support based on gettext emulation has
been implemented.
     (You need to know basic concept of gettext; see
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/)

     + POT Extraction:    see class comment of GetTextExporter2
     + Translation Engine:  see #translated
                                             and
NaturalLanguageTranslator/GetTextTranslator

2. Problem
     Current implementation is that all strings belong to the
textdomain "etoys".
     By this huge number of strings (>4000) are included in one big PO/POT and
     translators have difficulty to translate it.   We need to divide
it to a few text domains with appropriate size and inclusion
criteria/packaging scheme.

     Actually the translation framework have feature to mark class
category for some text domain. (review class side of
TextDomainManager)
But this has not been used because:
   + We haven't got agreement on what division would be good
   + There is risk that the framework cannot decide correct textdomain
in some case.
      (see #translated)
   + So we couldn't implement the division in timeline of the past project.

3. Related problem
   SQ-139 in etoys bug tracker.

/Korakurider