[etoys-dev] Etoys 4.1 alpha 1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Aug 15 21:33:07 EDT 2010

Here is the first alpha version of the upcoming Etoys 4.1 release:

	http://etoys.squeak.org/download/Etoys-4.1-alpha1.zip

Please test and report problems. If this basically works (I did not try on Windows and Linux), we can announce it on Squeakland for wider testing.

This is only the Etoys-To-Go version. Installers for Mac and Windows won't come before beta (unless someone volunteers to start working on them now).

The biggest changes since Etoys 4 are

* added DrGeo for exploring geometry
* Sketches support flipping
* geometry tiles for the world
* timer tile (world and other playfields)
* can store preferences
* QuickGuides translated to Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, and (some) French
* translations broken up in smaller files
* system organized in packages, developed using Monticello
* whatever I forgot (need to start working on release notes, which should also have proper attributions)

We have a few weeks now to the final release. There are still a few additions in the pipeline (Richo's bubbles, Jerome's smooth curves, my Sugar stuff) which can still make the cut if we think the risk is low. But mainly we need to iron out bugs.

Thanks to everyone who helped making this! You guys rock :)