[etoys-dev] SQ-94 - Flip and Tumble

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 12:34:56 EDT 2010

On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 6:43:25 am kharness at illinois.edu wrote:
> Not as much fun as the YouTube example you sent but, here is NCTM's take on
> the topic:
> http://standards.nctm.org/document/eexamples/chap6/6.4/index.htm
I am a parent and not a teacher, so I guess I can get away with operational
terms ;-). On a more serious note, I help students who are not literate in
English, so they need a clear metaphor to grasp terms.

> The testing mania here has made me hyper-sensitive to terminology students
> will see on high stakes standardized tests. I try to give students
> opportunities to apply knowledge, to play with ideas in different ways
> but, at the same time, I use the text book terms where I can.
I think using technical terms is okay once understanding sets in. But
introducing them before real understanding tends to distract kids from
learning. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srSbAazoOr8 at around 6:15

In this thread, I am probably splitting hairs. I am fine with the changes
proposed.

Subbu