[etoys-dev] Renaming Etoys-To-Go?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 23 06:16:34 EDT 2010

On 23.08.2010, at 08:26, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Sunday 22 Aug 2010 1:44:26 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Would it have been less baffling if I had named the alpha version "to-go"?
>> I probably should do that.
> If you still have time to revisit its title, may I suggest Etoys Mobile? To-go
> may get translated into "to die" in other languages ;-).

Well, "mobile app" implies "for handhelds/phones" nowadays. The common term is "portable application":

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

There is a website dedicated to collect these:

	http://portableapps.com/

So "Etoys Portable" would be a good name.

I personally like "Etoys-To-Go" better because it is shorter. I wouldn't worry too much about the possibility of mistranslation (my favorite counter-example is "Winnie the Pooh"). But "to-go" might be too much of an Americanism.

Opinions?