[etoys-dev] (SQ-749) and Kathleen's question on "What do you mean by Artifacts?"

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Aug 28 03:43:50 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Re Galilean gravity ... For now, I suggest the much easier route of making
> "jpeg movies" (they are just a folder of images whose names sort in order).
> The Etoys movie player has an option for playing such jpeg files.

How does this work? I created a folder with a set of jpeg files.
>From the MPEG movie Player, I clicked on the *Menu* button, clicked on *
advanced* then on *create JPEG movie from folder of frames*. I then
navigated to the folder with the jpeg files. Then I had to click on one of
the jpg files.  I could not figure out how to select multiple files or the
folder as a whole. If I clicked on the folder name it simply listed the
files in that directory. When I clicked on one file I was asked some
questions which I answered but in the end no movie or even any image was
displayed.

Anyway, I found a work around which is to put all the images in a holder and
set the graphic of a sketch to the "graphic at cursor" of the holder and
iterate through the images. But loading all the images was tedious.  The
advantage of this method (over using an mpeg file) is that when I save the
project the "video" is saved with it. When opening a mpeg file using the
MPEG player the movie is not saved with the project.

So, I think I'm closer to making this "kid friendly" (so that the stuff that
is supposed to be easy is, ie: importing the video frames).  I found some
free software that works fairly well at exporting JPEG's from a Movie (
avidemux2 <http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/>) which works on Windows, Mac
and Linux.  It allows me to easily edit and export the JPEGs from a
selection within the movie.

The only other missing piece is a simple way to import the images.
A smalltalk script to add the images into a holder (in name order) would be
nice :)

Thanks,
Stephen