[etoys-dev] Testing needed keyboard events

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Feb 13 21:27:05 EST 2010

That was easy (installation that is).  Installed and did some initial basic
testing on Macintosh v10.6.2

Behavior Observed:

   1. For a script set to run when: keyDown
      1. scripts run once when any key is pressed down
      2. scripts continue to run if you hold the keyDown for more than about
      1/2 second and will run until key Up.
      2. For a script set to run when: keyUp
      1. script runs once on keyUp
      3. For a script set to run when: keyStroke
      1. same behavior as keyDown, test method below
      1. tested with two objects each moving forward 5 one on keyDown the
         other on keyStroke
         2. pressed a key (quick down up) and both moved forward 5
         3. pressed a key and held it down for a while  and both moved
         forward the same distance
      4. If the "Text" object has a script which runs when "keyDown" et al,
   that script will run when you press keys to enter text in "Text".  Other
   Objects scripts will not run in this case.
   I could see the usefulness for this, but think in most cases (especially
   game playing) it would be an undesired behavior.
   5. keyDown and keyStroke seem to have the same behavior

Feedback:

   1. It seems the modification gives the ability to run a script on
   specific events (keyDown, keyUp, keyStroke) but does not allow the ability
   to run the script based on a specific key being "Down|Up|Stroked"
   2. What is needed for two+ player games is the ability to execute scripts
   when multiple keys are being pressed and/or held down at the same time,
   along with the ability to run specific scripts (or sections within a script)
   based on the key being pressed.

Stephen