[etoys-dev] Wait command for Etoys

Tobias Schubotz tobias.schubotz at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jul 4 08:25:56 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

I want to implement a wait command for usage in Etoys scripts. Something
like: "anObject waitFor: seconds". So the script should wait for the
number of seconds before it resumes. Other scripts should not not be
affected and should run as usual.

In standard Squeak there's no problem with this. By using forked
processes and semaphores it can be easily implemented.
But if I call this method from Etoys, the whole environment (and so all
scripts) are blocked and also wait for the specified time. As far as I
know, the reason for that is, that Etoys runs in only one process? So
this is not the solution, because as I said, the other script should not
be affected.

Well I also thought about pausing the script containing the waitFor
command. But pausing a script means, that it runs first until the end
and then stops. And that's not the desired effect as well.

Is there a way to tell Etoys to hinder the wait-script from resuming
until the wait time expired and let other scripts unaffected?
Or is there any other possibility to implement such a waitFor: command?

Thanks in advance
Tobias