[etoys-dev] Re: [squeakland] Re: the reasons for ranking

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Wed Jun 9 05:29:37 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 09/30/2009 12:25 PM, Karl Ramberg wrote:
> On 2009-09-30 17:20, Kim Rose wrote:
>> Hey, John,
>>
>> Nice to see you are still around and interested -- hope you are doing
>> well.   Thanks for the comments.
>>
>> As for me and Viewpoints -- there is one reason only for ranking and
>> that is filtering in an attempt to bring the best educational
>> examples and those illustrative of etoys' strengths to the attention
>> of the community.   So, I,  for one, am hoping that those "voting"
>> are not voting for any particular child, author or person, but for
>> the example itself -- I hope those voting/ranking are asking "is this
>> a fine exemplar to help teach a concept, principle, or powerful
>> idea?".   The more the example answers back with a "yes" the higher
>> the rank.  Also, the more complete an example the higher the rank.
>> How disclosing of what the Etoy is meant to do is in the example?
>> Does it have an explanation of what it is?  If it is a game does it
>> have instruction on how to play and the goal of the game?
>
> A googlish way of ranking is to use links/ references to a projects.
> If teachers/users could make a group or curriculum of projects on the
> site, we could rank from the refs to projects.
>
> I tried to rank a few project, but it's quite hard to do. There are to
> many things to consider.
> I'm not a teacher, so for me to rank appropriateness of a project for
> a classroom situation is not really realistic

I think that a way to do detailed ranking as an option is fine. We're
thinking in using templates of content so according to which type of
content you have published, you also have detailed options for raking.
Of course this is easier when you have a narrow types of publications
and that's not the case with Etoys, but may be some ideas on that could
be useful.

Cheers,

Offray

Ps: ¿By the way, what about publishing "projects for bigger children"
like my presentation for the SqueakFest 2007. Is this a place for that
content?