[etoys-dev] Timers

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 26 12:16:24 EDT 2010

This is related to the discussion of non-accurate tick rates:
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-708

There currently is no good way to measure real time in Etoys. The Clock object is only accurate to one second.

So I'm proposing to have a global timer, in seconds, but with milli-second resolution. There would be a tile for accessing it in the world's "playfield" category (actually any playfield / holder).

This would allow to do animations etc to proceed in real time, independent of the actual tick rate of a script.

I just posted a proposed implementation to the inbox (Etoys-bf.31). Also, find attached an example project.

Would that be generally useful?