[etoys-dev] Re: [sq-education] repeat-tile

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Mar 26 12:36:13 EDT 2010

So I have a  limited understanding of Etoys design philosphy and the
execution semantics of operating in a timeless fashion and while I can
appreciate the differences between execution models, from a child's
perspective the question is: "can I make it do what I want, without getting
so frustrated I give up?"
>From a child and teacher's perspective the things that the Scratch execution
model allow me to do that have value, in particular:

   - Ability to Visually Debug scripts (Edit -> Start Single Stepping) I
   have used this on a number of occasions when kids were stuck and got them to
   "look at" how there scripts were executing and this was a great tool to help
   them to think about how the scripts work and resolve their problems
   - Ability to create what i will call "Sequenced Animations and Sounds"
   (as mentioned earlier)
   - Ability to "pause" the action

No, I am not suggesting changing the execution semantics or a re-design, but
simply asking how we can solve these problems within the Etoys paradigm.

Kids love animation and cartoons and are really motivated by creating them,
providing them with a "lower floor" to do this I believe would encourage
wider use of Etoys.

I tried building my own animation tiles and found it non-trivial and wound
up building upon Yoshiki's example. Even then I needed to use Holders within
Holders. I doubt a kid or most teachers could figure it out (probably my
fault in not thinking hard enough on how to solve the problem).

If someone could provide an example that would provide a much simpler level
of abstraction that kids can use that would be great. I don't know that it
can be done without resorting to Smalltalk.

Sorry for bifurcating the discussion ;)

In regards to removing the "repeat" tile, I find a lot of things in Etoys
that could be considered confusing and non-obvoius.  I have found it useful
and I am sure it was included for a reason.  Frankly what I initially found
more "confusing" or non-obvoius is using the ticking rate (most likely
because of my non Smalltalk background) but once I learned it came to
appreciate its value.

That said I need to go back and see why I used it and if there is another
way to solve the same problems. Most of the reasons I recall using it were
for iterating through tables of data or objects in a collection (for which I
could probably use "Tell all" another confusing and non-obvious item).

Stephen