[etoys-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Brand new Ubuntu experience with etoys

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:50:01 EDT 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 09:54:56 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> However, since the plugin is there, it might be possible to use it. Try
> this:
>
> First, rename to "Etoys.app" and put it in your home directory:
>
>         mv "Etoys-To-Go 4.app" ~/Etoys.app
> Replace /usr/share/Etoys.app by $HOME/Etoys.app:
>
>        sed -i.bak 's-/usr/share-$HOME-' ~/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux-
i686/npetoysrun

Isn't npetoysrun redundant in Etoys4.1 with its new launcher script? Why not
update the plugin to launch it directly - say using ${NPSQUEAK_HOME:-
~/.npsqueak} as the Etoys.app location? I expect the majority of users to use
the same image for local and remote projects.

If the paths are picked up from environment, then all these links may not be
necessary.  Personally, I dislike dot pollution in $HOME for virtual machines
like Etoys.

Subbu