[etoys-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Brand new Ubuntu experience with etoys

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 13:49:03 EDT 2010

--- On Fri, 5/14/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> Subject: Re: [etoys-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Brand new Ubuntu experience with etoys
> To: "Jerome Peace" <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "etoys dev" <etoys-dev at squeakland.org>
> Date: Friday, May 14, 2010, 2:26 AM
> Am 13.05.2010 um 18:34 schrieb Jerome
> Peace:
> >
> > Hi Bert,
> >
> > Thanks for your responses. Particularly this one.
> >
> >> Actually, I just updated Etoys-To-Go. If you
> download it
> >> again and execute
> Contents/Linux-i686/npetoysregister then
> >> something along the lines I described above should
> happen
> >> automagically ...
> >
> > Heh heh. That's more like it. Dreamers tend to be
> lazy.*
>
> Is there a footnote missing here?

Yep.
* Lazy programmers are the ones who will put a lot of work into finding ways to avoid a little bit of work.

> >> I don't think we should recommend this method of
> installing
> >> the browser plugin, but for some desperate Linux
> users it
> >> might be an option.
> >>
> > Well, let me think. I don't understand why you are
> not
> > recommending Etoys-to-Go for plugin duty. Compared to
> what?
>
> Compared to a real installation.

I sort of know what you mean. Still leaving it up to a real installation leaves all sorts of opportunities for ambiguities and confusion. Plus the current 10.04 real installation does not install the plugin hook. How would one test that this real installation exists and works as planned?

Furthur on down this topic, I find myself back to reporting results.

In my last post I mentioned about having etoys listed as a helper for opening .pr files. Apparently something in the 10.04 installation process did exactly that. When I just click on the link to download the a project from a showcase ( http://www.etoysillinois.org/library.php in this case).
It apparently invoked the squeak-vm which noticed three different images and gave me a choice. (etoys, squeak, squeak pluggin). Choosing etoys launched the project in the etoys 3.0 image.

I've tried the same thing with the 8.04 linux but it only offers to save the .pr file. On the other hand the 8.04 linux will allow me to use the launch link and get the project launched in a browser tab.

Stating the story helped me to test for it, with happy result. Now if only all my other stories would implement themselves as I tell them, I'll be all set.

Etoys Illinois is like the squeakland showcase. Trying to launch on 10.04 brings up a page similar to the original one on squeakland (before you modified it). That pages plugin here link leads to a similar download page to the one on Squeakland. My curiosity wonders what they do to stay in sync with upstream? Also there very existence makes me wonder how many other near mirrors and showcases there are out there?