[etoys-dev] Re: Need for translation in DrGeo

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 18 00:58:08 EDT 2010

Am 17.05.2010 um 21:42 schrieb Korakurider:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>>   Yes, #translatedNoop is just marking string as translatable and let
>>> GetTextExporter2 extract the string to POT.   Actual translation occur
>>> only in #translated.   See "4.7 Special Case of Translatable Strings"
>>> in http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html.

>>>   The crazy idea was ...
>>>   Currently method body of #translatedNoop is empty.  But in the
>>> method translation domain for the string could be decided with sender
>>> of #translatedNoop and could be stored in receiver string.
>>
>> Now that indeed *is* a crazy idea ;)
>> I have a simpler one:
>>
>> First try to look up the domain in the sender of #translated, as usual. Then, if the phrase was not found there, look in all the other domains.
>>
>> That should keep all existing translations working.
>   Yes, it works like **current** implementation;
>   But if multiple domains has same translatable string and
> translations are different among domains, result of translation cannot
> be deterministic.
>
> /korakurider

Indeed, but I would only see that as a fallback. The general case would be for the word to be found in the domain of the #translated sender.

IMHO it is highly unlikely for a phrase to not be found in its regular domain, *and* be defined in multiple domains, *and* having those translations actually be different. And *if* there was such a case, it could be solved by using #translatedInDomain: but I doubt this is actually necessary.