[etoys-dev] POT/PO extraction

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 20 10:32:40 EDT 2010

On 20.05.2010, at 08:59, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am testing PO/POT extraction of Ricardo's the latest snapshot and
> noticed a few problems.
>
> (1) Each PO/POT has following records:
>
> ------- (from here)
> #: Language name as you'd like it to appear in the Languages menu
> msgid "Language-Name"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Scale to apply to font size (2 for twice as large)
> msgid "Font-Scale"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Directionality of language
> msgid "Language-Direction"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Use this if you do not want any of the text to be bolded, for
> legibility
> msgid "Suppress-Bold"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Font to use on a Windows system
> msgid "Win-Font"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Font to use on a Mac system
> msgid "Mac-Font"
> msgstr ""
>
> #: Font to use on a Linux system
> msgid "Linux-Font"
> msgstr ""
> ---- (to here)
>
> I think these were introduced to mimic Scratch's settings management.
> Scratch doesn't use compiled MO but PO file.  And PO contains
> translation
> records and language specific settings like scale of display.
> But settings in compiled MO cannot be tweaked at deployment,
> so this is not appropriate for storage of such settings.
> And almost all of strings above are not used by code at first place.
> You could confirm by reviewing actual code.
>
> So how about removing them (except "Language-Name" and "Language-
> Direction" )
> from POT/PO for now?

Yes. They only cause confusion.

> (2) "Language-Name" and "Language-Direction" are properties of some
> locale.
> So entering them in all PO's would be odd.
> Where do you think appropriate place for entering "Language-Name"?
>
> ("Language-Direction" is not used from current code actually.  So we
> could even remove it from PO for now)

We should remove unused strings. The default domain seems like the
right place for Language-Name.

> (3) name of default domain is handled wrongly.  Both Etoys/ja.po and
> 'Etoys'/ja.po are exported.
> It seems that 'Etoys'/ja.po contains strings of *orphan" methods that
> doesn't belong to any package.

Good catch.

> (4) Btw 'Etoys'/ja.po contains strings that are marked as translatable
> in textual script  of Home project.
> Do we really want translation of loaded project like Home managed in
> default domain?

No we don't :) I saw that change in one of Richo's commits but did not
immediately speak up. He added something specifically to export those,
that should be removed.