[etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon May 31 04:12:24 EDT 2010

On 08/09/2009 03:49 AM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Sunday 09 Aug 2009 12:46:21 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> IMHO "Age" should be "Target Age", and it should cover everybody. This
>> means we need two more choices: "under 6" and "above 18". And there
>> needs to be a way to select multiple age groups, or at least add an
>> "everyone" choice.
>>
> I would vote for dropping Age and Region for two reasons.
> a) not strictly needed for every project.
> b) ambiguous. Completed age? approximate age? age when the project was started
> or when last updated? does region refer to current location or native
> location?
>
> These extraneous fields makes the dialog large and may put off young learners.
> Where needed, local teachers can guide the students to add them in tags
>
> Subbu

I agree with Subbu. I don't see how age tag can be useful in Colombia,
where the range is flexible for people in the School. Something like the
grade could be useful, but still we don't have a strict curriculum per
grade, just broad achievements on each period of formation. A external
tag like the age imposed up-down in the metadata of the project is not
something useful. In fact what I think is that we need some kind of
emergent ontology/taxonomy from a folksonomy that is more localized to
the curriculum of the teachers if the intention is to serve them, so
this tags should be different for different places of the world and the
common tags (the ones which are not discussed here) should be the only
predefined. People should be able to define and explain additional tags
that can work for their curriculum/culture better.

Cheers,

Offray