[etoys-dev] Tile for "after x seconds do"

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 12:37:12 EDT 2010

On Sunday 03 Oct 2010 7:19:16 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> One of the most requested features in Etoys is the ability to "wait" in a
> script.
I suspect most of the requests came from adults who tried to translate their
current code to Etoys :-). Most young learners I know think in terms of "event
time" (kairos) rather than "H:M:S time" (chronos). They wait "for an event"
rather than "for a duration". Any teacher will attest about fear of timeouts
and parents about "are we there yet?" queries while driving ;-).

Existing tiles are sufficient to script statements like "x seconds after event y
do z". A Digital Timer widget can be created with start/pause/reset and HMS
counters for convenience but that would take the fun out of making Rube
Goldberg widgets :-)

HMS readouts in Digital Clock are sufficient to do statements like "at x do y".

Subbu