[etoys-dev] [etoys-notify] [JIRA] Created: (SQ-840) scriptnames that begin with "get" followed by an uppercase letter do not display properly in the viewer

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 06:53:57 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 05 Oct 2010 11:44:08 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Well, I think user script names should appear exactly as typed. Just like
> object names (which sometimes erroneously get translated).
script names belong to the same space as getter, setter methods in the
standard vocabularies.

You can't have two morphs named the same. The new morph will have a number
appended to it to resolve the conflict. The same resolution is also employed
for scripts. If you try to name a script as getX, it will get changed to
getX1.

> Either we allow scripts to be named like this or not. But since currently
> we do, they should work as expected.
I went back as far as 3.8 and found that we never allow scripts to be named
this way. If we try naming a script as getHeading, it will get renamed to
getHeading1 to avoid conflicts with the built-in method. There are also a list
of proscribed names like self, costume, super etc. See

Player>>acceptableScript....

In any case, we can't fix this in 4.1.1 timeframe. It will require a redesign.

Subbu