[etoys-dev] composition input change

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 14 12:00:00 EDT 2010

On 14.10.2010, at 03:49, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> The LANG check you introduced in etoys.sh will break Indic m17n fixes because
> most Indic environments leave the locale as en_IN.UTF-8 or en_US.UTF-8 and
> then choose the most appropriate language for a given app. This is why I
> patched etoys.sh to use compositioninput if .UTF-8 encoding is specified in
> $LANG. Input encoding does not depend on language code.
>
> Subbu

But every Linux I know uses utf-8 now. E.g. German uses de_DE.UTF-8 and English uses en_US.UTF-8. Since I don't know what compositioninput does, I thought it better to restrict it to the languages you mentioned.

So, how would it affect the other languages?

I previously thought the encoding part of LANG referred to file names. I was surprised you thought it had anything to do with X11 input.