[etoys-dev] composition input change

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 14 15:53:10 EDT 2010

On 14.10.2010, at 11:02, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Thursday 14 Oct 2010 11:17:39 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> But that would require more changes on the image side, right? For now your
>> m17n environment is only used by a few locales.
> No. composition input is backward compatible. Images which depend on legacy
> encodings will not be affected.
>
> M17n is expected to be backward compatible with legacy encodings. After all,
> multilingual means accepting multiple encodings in a single paragraph. It
> should not rule out the use of a single encoding across the entire paragraph.
>
> Subbu

That has nothing to do with my concern.

What I'm worried about is this: If the locale is "de_DE.UTF-8" then the image will use Latin1Environment and UTF32InputInterpreter. That interpreter expects either a utf32 keycode or MacRoman. But if the VM now sends UTF-8 instead of setting the utf32 field, it would break, no?