[etoys-dev] [RELEASE] Etoys 4.1.1

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 04:01:33 EDT 2010

On Friday 15 Oct 2010 11:39:15 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> The Linux VM did not change since 4.1. But maybe you can compile a better
> one?
4.1 is affected too. The fix is to build the VM in a Gutsy virtual machine.

I can do that for the schools here if it becomes necessary. I posted my
findings because XOs have 256MB RAMs and they may be affected by the change too.
So will people using their Etoys-To-Go on borrowed machines or in XO virtual
machines.

When we upgraded 256MB RAM systems to Kubuntu Hardy (linux kernel 2.6.24?),
teachers and students experienced intermittent slowdowns and freezes lasting
5-6 seconds - extremely frustrating. It was traced to memory pressure. The
working set shot up from around 130-150MB to over 200MB in Hardy. Kernel did
not behave gracefully under such conditions. Google count for "ubuntu hardy
slow" is over 48 million! XO may escape the curse if the defect turns out to
be in scsi disk i/o modules.

Luckily for us, Dell Foundation donated 1GB notebooks to the schools. So we
consolidated two 256MB machines to a single 512MB machine in some of the
schools.

Should we take this discussion to vm-dev?

Subbu