[etoys-dev] Etoys: GetText-Richo.14.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 19 10:22:12 EDT 2011

On 19.04.2011, at 14:50, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think it's still useful. I used it to export all translatable strings for
> > Physical Etoys (including the Etoys translations). But maybe there is a
> > better way that I ignore.
>   Ah, I see.
>
> > Also, I was thinking about the translation support and I came to the
> > conclusion that I really hate the String>>#translatedInAllDomains hack. The
> > problem is that I don't know how to fix it so it would find the right domain
> > in *all* cases.
>    I think translation support in Squeak/Etoys have introduced unique
> problems and
>    the hack is reasonable workaround at this time.
>
> > So, here is my idea: what if instead of having a bunch of .mo files, we come
> > back to the big etoys.mo file but keeping the .po files divided in domains?
> > I mean, the translators would be happy because they'll have all the files
> > splitted by domain. And, at the time of compiling, we merge all the po files
> > into one huge etoys.po file and just compile that, thus simplifying the
> > #translated stuff a lot.
>   Once split domains, there could be the case that a phrase have
> multiple translations.
>   (Note: ability to have multiple translations might be opportunity )
>   So I suspect merging translations isn't good change.
>

> Yes, there might be multiple translations but they'll depend on the domain being detected properly. Currently, with the #translatedInAllDomains workaround we can't rely on the domain detection so it's kinda worthless, don't you think?

It works pretty well, and we could fix it for the cases where it does not, if needed, me thinks. So I would not call it "worthless".

Having one .mo per .po seems most straight-forward for everyone to understand. The translatedInAllDomains "hack" is almost invisible. So we would need a very good reason to abandon that.